You: "A sliver spoon."
Claire: "What kind of silver spoon."
You: "A big, silver spoon."
Claire: "What kind of big, silver spoon?"
Etc., etc., etc., until she is satisfied with your answer. I'm starting to feel like a walking Thesaurus.
As most of you know, I'm 20 weeks pregnant. We've all been wondering "what kind of baby?" On Monday we found out. Claire is almost two years and three months. In about 20 weeks, she will be a big sister to a little brother. Life is changing faster than I ever thought possible just two short years ago when I was incapable of enjoying the fact that all my baby did was sleep, eat and poop. I think that Charles and I are both filled with a combination of fear and excitement. Life for the most part has seemed to reach this point of balance between the three of us, and we are about to throw our lives back into chaos. Every time I look at Claire, there is a bit of sadness that the days of just us are fading away. At the same time, if this little boy is half as wonderful as Claire is, our lives will be infinitely better. Family and friends have reassured us that, just as with Claire, once he arrives, it will be impossible to imagine life without him. Given how true that has been with Claire, we think we might be able to survive the sleep deprivation ahead of us.
We have enjoyed an absolutely beautiful fall, filled with a ton of fun activities that I hope will turn into family traditions: trips to a pumpkin patches complete with a hay rides and corn mazes.
Making and decorating sugar cookies.
Red Butte After Dark. Red Butte is our local botanical garden, which has to be one of my favorite places in Salt Lake City. It sits in the foothills overlooking the University and the city. It is a wonderful place to explore, especially in the cool of fall.
Charles' birthday.
Raking leaves. Claire loves to help us with the leaves, but finds it a little distressing when they have to go into the green waste container.
And the ever important move into a big girl bed.
As I right this, the third snow of the season is falling, and many of the ski resorts will be opening over the weekend. Claire is excited for the snow and to going skiing with Grandpa Matt. At the same time, every once in awhile she'll pout and sadly say, "Halloween is over."
This kid loves to be outside, and I am mentally preparing myself for the cold, the snow, and the layers of clothing that accompany them with images of watching Claire play in the snow and promises of lots of hot chocolate.
3 comments:
So sweet. I have a huge lump in my throat thinking about her playing in the snow. I hope we can share lots of hot chocolate. :-)
Lovely! I'm a little teary.... I can't wait until our kids can ski together and have hot chocolate in the lodge!
Thanks for the new pictures. I especially like the one where Claire is peering out from between the cornstalks! And I wonder where you found the cute polar bear hat for her Halloween costume--
It looks like Charles had a really good birthday party!
I love your comments which accompany the pictures. You are wise to treasure the fleeting moments--and to look forward to the good times ahead as well--
Post a Comment